Friday, July 14, 2006

14 juillet

Around this time nine years ago, I was working up to a huge life change. I made it a few days later, and have never regretted it. And I can't help thinking that the storming of the Bastille was in the back of my mind at the time. Some things just have to be done by force.

I've made July 14 my day for personal Bastille-storming ever since. Mind you, very few interior Bastilles can be completely torn down in one day. And one would hope not to make quite this much mess.



3 comments:

Ampersand Duck said...

I love those self-empowering decisions. Especially when there are truly no regrets. All hail to you.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Thank you, &D. Of course I have now discovered, thanks to Liam over at stoush.net, that the 14th doesn't seem to have been the actual day the Bastille was stormed. But it does not diminish the power of the image as tied to the day, pas pour moi, at least. Call me a PoMoggie, but there it is.

genevieve said...

What would Liam know? I was taught French by real French women at school, they always held it on quatorze juillet. Let 'em eat crepes and croissants.