* Why, when I decide I really must do a load of washing, does it immediately begin to rain?
* Why does it never rain all the rest of the time?
* Why do people not actually read the emails in which I have taken such trouble to explain as clearly and simply as possible what the problem/issue/question is, thereby creating completely unnecessary confusion and wasting yet more time?
* Why do so many people want things finished and delivered by the end of September?
* Why, on a day when one cat heaves up a gigantic furball on the sofa and the other one escapes out into the street to play with the trucks and the Rottweilers, do they do those things at exactly the same time?
* Why do strangers ring up begging for money just as I have started a complicated sentence, thereby dooming me never to finish it?
* Why do the delivery people think that the small space in my driveway between my car and the gates is an appropriate place to leave a delivery for next door -- a huge, unwieldy parcel three-quarters as tall as I am and almost too heavy and awkward to lift if one heeds the This Way Up sign -- without knocking on my door or leaving any other kind of notification that that is what they have done?
* Why can I never convince my hairdresser that I do actually want my fringe about an inch and a half shorter than that?