of heaven ...
-- Peter Goldsworthy, 'Mass for the Middle-Aged'
UPDATE: I've just realised I haven't done this meme myself, so will use it as an excuse for some avoidance behaviour instead of tackling the next task on the list.
1) Which part(s) of your body is/are hurting as you read this? List all that apply.
Feet, head. I am bracketed by middle-aged aches.
2) Which of the following is/are no longer working properly? List all that apply.
h) digestive system
i) blood pressure
n) other (please specify) (NB -- if the answer is 'bits', and it may well be, that's on a strictly a need-to-know basis)
(a), (c), (d), (f), (h) and (k).
3) Has your hairline receded? (For both sexes.)
No, it's always been this high.
4) Is your hair the same colour it was ten years ago?
5) Is your hair the same colour it was ten days ago?
6) Do you know what colour your hair would be if you grew the colour out?
Yes -- a less tabby-cat-like version of what it looks like now.
7) Are you still content to have your photo taken?
What do you mean, 'still'?
8) Do you think that Brazilians and/or back, sack & crack waxes are ridiculous?
Not quite; some of my own 'beauty' practices are a bit odd, too. I mean, I own an eyelash curler. (Which I can no longer use without thinking of that scene in The Boys.)
9) Or have you had one (or more than one)?
10) Did it hurt more than childbirth / falling off a ladder / root canal work / being attacked by a shark? (If not applicable, write ‘Not Applicable’.)
11) Have you had root canal work?
12) Have you had surgery on any of your intimate parts?
13) Were you evasive about it with your friends and relatives?
No. Only with readers of my blog.
14) How long have you known your oldest friend?
Since we became friends in Year 9 after having been enemies in Year 8 -- 40 years.
15) How often do you have to grope around for a particular word before you remember it?
Too bloody often.
16) When you travel, do you take a special separate toiletries bag exclusively for your medications and other first aid supplies?
17) Does the thought of starting a new relationship
(a) fill you with horror
(b) make you giggle
(c) make you want to run away into the desert
(d) other (please specify)
All of the above.
18) What have you found to be the most reliable mantras, slogans and shibboleths to get you through life’s bad moments?
'This too shall pass.'
'Think of it scientifically.'
'You're not being napalmed.'
'My heart is pure, I have the strength of ten.'
'Let it go, Indy.' *
* Much of the appeal there is in the visualisation and imagined hearing of Sean Connery.
19) What makes you cry?
Music, injured animals, news items about lost children who have been found safe, music, funerals, and music.
20) What makes you laugh?
My friends, bless them.
21) Who were your musical gods and heroes when you were in your late teens/early 20s?
The Joni Mitchell of Blue and the Elton John of Tumbleweed Connection, which to this day I'm proud to claim.
22) Is/are he/she/they still alive?
Elton (age 60) is still touring his butt off and Joni (age 64) has a new album, an exhibition of paintings and a new ballet based on her music all showing/touring/on sale as we speak. I've seen them both live and they are both great musicians.
23 Which of these is no longer what it once was? List all that apply.
a) your ability to metabolise alcohol or other drugs of choice
b) your desire to metabolise alcohol or other drugs of choice
c) your desire to dance
d) your ability to dance
All but (c).
24) Have you now been to enough funerals to have definite and detailed ideas about how they should be organised and run? If yes, please elaborate.
Yes. Good music, good flowers, carefully chosen speakers and readers, and minimal crying if possible.
25) Have people started trying to help you across the street?
No, but give me time.
26) Could you get up on karaoke night and sing 'Non, je regrette rien' without bursting into howls of hysterical laughter?
27) If not, please explain.
I can sing in tune, and my French accent is passable, but I regret almost everything.
28) What about 'My Way'?
Hmm. Wouldn't opening with the lines 'And now the end is near' provoke sarcasm in the ranks, at karaoke?
29) When did you last have a drink?
30) What was it?
Fox Creek Verdelho, my fave.
31) Can I have some?
No tagging, just do it, if you feel it speaks to you. And please let me know here so I can go and have a look.