Thursday, April 26, 2007

Rain


Last night as it got dark I was out driving, with a good view of a pearly, opalescent skyscape full of palest blues and creams and greys with a few streaks of pink and gold. It was a late summer sky, not an early winter one, and even as late as Anzac Day the air was warm in a way you'd expect of March, not April.

But this morning the sky is a uniform if slightly fluffy grey, and I was woken by the steady patter and hiss of rain on the corrugated-iron roof and tyres on the wet road outside my window. It's not big freaky flash-flooding hailstones-in-the-gutter rain, either, like the storm last autumn that ended up running in sheets down the insides of the bathroom walls and costing me an arm and a leg in home improvements for stormwater management, thereby ensuring that it did not rain again for the rest of the year.

Nope -- this is lovely gentle normal rain, little rain, the kind I think they're talking about in 'Westron Wind'.

(Westron Wind, when wilt thou blow,
that the small rain down can rain?
Christ, that my love were in my arms
And I in my bed again!
)

Every plant in the garden is already sitting up like a grateful dog. And they're saying three days of it.

I suppose I could whinge and moan about not having had the resources (time and money, as usual) to organise a rainwater tank yet, but that's a bit Eeyore-ish even for me.

11 comments:

Mummy/Crit said...

Ooh, Westron Wynde is a fave of mine. I love the harmonies and the free time signature. I'd always wondered about the 'smalle' rain, which makes some sense now. I'd go any kind of rain...

Anonymous said...

Yes, and I'm not going to complain that I'm stuck inside with two little boys who think firstly, that they invented the concept of burping your ABCs and secondly, that I might think it is hilarious.

genevieve said...

I shan't complain that my house is filthy, and only me here to clean it, with a brain that cannot stand very much cleaning (it just gets up and runs away screaming.)

Ariel said...

I was having similar thoughts on the late summer-ish Anzac Day weather in Melbourne yesterday. (We even went swimming in the sea!) No sign of rain here yet, but it should come tomorrow.

Genevieve, I WON'T make the same complaint as you.

Mindy said...

Jealous.

Anonymous said...

Still not complaining even though Friday Wash Day has been washed out.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

I bet it has, 3C -- I gave up on washing today before I even started.

I hope there was no more hilarious burping of ABC's.

Mummy/Crit said...

What is it with small boys and alphabet burping? Mine's just started.

Anonymous said...

Still not complaining even though we're supposed to be going to watch Sturt play footy while we eat hot chips with vinegar and so on.

Anonymous said...

oddly enough, as the rain finally reached out place in western Victoria, I picked up a book of poetry my wife had bought that day. The book fell open to Westron Wind

Spooky

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

I love stories like that.