First the discussion of error and correction over at Kate's and now the scary antique exams in grammar and comprehension at Larvatus Prodeo, plus a jaw-dropping mispronunciation I heard last night on the news during a live cross to the Beaconsfield mine, have moved me to get a few miscellaneous snarks along these lines off my chest, thus:
* 'Exacerbate' is neither pronounced nor spelled 'exacerpate'.
* 'Antarctica' and 'ecstatic' both contain two Cs. They are not pronounced 'Ant-AR-tica' and 'uh-STATic'.
* 'Vulnerable' contains two Ls, and is therefore not pronounced 'vunnerable'.
* 'Congratulations' does not have a D in it.
* 'Phenomena' is the plural of 'phenomenon'.
* 'Criteria' is the plural of 'criterion'.
* 'Media' is the plural of 'medium'.
* And finally, since it's footy season once more: 'parochial' does not mean the same thing as 'partisan'. When in doubt, boys, look it up.